Cricket by Design
Monday, April 21, 2008
1)Big Money and extravaganza go together. Whether this is true or not, Stanford University conducted a wine testing experiment very recently in which people were given bottles with range of prices from $5 to $90. According to the Boston Globe report, the subjects consistently said more expensive the wine, better was the taste. Like wise the big money involved in 20Twenty DLF-IPL is translated subconsciously into 'high value' and 'quality' in the minds of the public.
2) Lalit Modi, the chief executive and Commissioner of DLF-Indian Premier League sighed a big relief when the inauguration of the extravaganza was kicked off on
April 18, 2008 in Bangalore under frazzle-dazzle lights, laser, with dancers, cheer leaders and live music.
3) We can imagine how big will be the show in the forthcoming Beijing Olympics the 'Bird's Nest', being the main venue.
4) Let us come back to IPL. Though many watch the telecast, they still don't have answers in their finger tips. . Here are some relevant tips:-
a) DLF - I.P.L. which got started on 18 April will go up to June1, 2008. The duration is for 44 days. Some days will witness 2 matches and rest only one.
b) There are 8 Teams which will witness intense encounters. The Teams and Captains are:-
1) Kolkata Knight Riders - Saurav Gangully
2) Deccan Chargers - VVS Lax man
3) Rajasthan Royals - Shane Warne
4) Kings XI, Punjab - Yuvaraj Sing
5) Royal Challengers, Bangalore - Rahul Dravid
6) Mumbai Indians - Sachin Tendulkar
7) Chennai Super Kings - Mahendra Singh Dhoni
8) Delhi Dare Devils - Virendra Sehwag
C) One Team will play 14 matches in total, before the first semifinals. That means one team will clash with the rest of 7 teams twice. 7*2=14 matches.
d) On April 18 :- Team at sl.no. 5 clashed with Team at sl.no.1. at Bangalore.
On May 8, Same Teams will clash for the second time @ Kolkata. That means each Team will play one match in their Home Town.
e) The venue for the matches will be eight as there are 8 Teams contesting.
f) There will be 56 Matches in all plus 2 Semi Finals plus 1 Final which totals up to 59 Matches.
G) The two Semi Finals and the Final will be played in Mumbai.
k) Each player has been hired by bids at astronomical sums, pushing up Cricket's value to a 7 Star rating as compared to other sports.
l) Dhoni was pocketed by Chennai Super Kings with highest bid of $1.5 million.
m) Global News Agencies which include Reuters, AP, AFP, Getty Images Will not cover DLF due to unacceptable accreditation terms, as it stands today.
n) Cricket by design:- 20Twenty I.P.L. Games will offer a little for every body.
(1) Some bite for fast bowlers, particularly at the initial stages
(2) Some leeway for Batsmen for free strokes on second and third days.
(3) Some purchase for the Spinners on last two days.
(4) Matches will be played late evenings to enable office goers and business class to attend which will enhance large gate collections. Further, that time will be idle for players who will otherwise have to sweat hard in the sweltering heat in the day time.
But best laid plans of mice and groundsmen may go awry by gusts of sound wind, sudden shower, outbreak of frost and things like these.
It will be an enigma if I ask you to name your favourite Team. However, people may opt Teams belonging to their Regions. From the initial matches so far, Kolkata and Chennai Teams look formidable.